Thursday, February 26, 2009

A Teacher's Legacy!

Today, I want to pay tribute to an amazing teacher that definitely left a legacy. My fourth grade year at Jefferson Elementary, I had the joy and honor of being in the classroom of Evannoa L. Hall. I can't even begin to describe this woman. She had a passion beyond words for her career and for those in her classroom. You have to know what an impact Mrs. Hall made not only in my life but in the life of my family. She was the kind of teacher that was there to not only educate her students but there to teach us life lessons. Let me preface this story that I am getting ready to tell you by saying that not only did I have the pleasure of being in her classroom but, my brother did as well. He was in Mrs. Hall's class the year before me 1985-1986. That was the year that we started to learn just what kind of teacher she was and what to expect from her. My brother (who went by Bryan at the time) went up to Mrs. Hall and asked "Mrs. Hall, can I go to the restroom?" and she replied..."sir?" so again he asked "can I go to the restroom?" to which again she replied..."sir?" getting a little frustrated and maybe a little concerned that he wasn't going to make it my brother again said "Mrs. Hall, can I go to the restroom?" and much to his amazement she again said...."sir?" Needless to say, this continued for at least 5 minutes before my brother finally said "Mrs. Hall, may I please go to the restroom?" and she gladly replied, "sure"! Hilarious!! She was trying to teach David that when you are asking to go to the restroom you need to use the word "may" versus using the word "can" because "can" is asking if you are capable and "may" is asking permission. This alone made a huge impact not only on my brother but on myself for the coming year. I knew when I was in her classroom exactly how to ask. This is still something that I think of today. With having the honor right now of being in the classroom when students come up and ask me "Mrs. Washburn, can I go to the restroom?" I reply..."I don't know can you?" and then I proceed to tell them that they need to be asking permission to go versus trying to find out whether they are capable. What an impact she made!

When I was in her classroom the following year (1986-1987 her last year before retirement at age 71) my most memorable moment was involving not only my least favorite but my weakest subject math. Bless her heart, Mrs. Hall struggled with me! Needless to say, I was less than desirable in the math department. She would talk to me about learning my multiplication tables and I just couldn't get there. I struggled in a major way. For some unknown reason, she decided that she would try to give me incentive, which I now know would be considered bribery. She started telling me that if I would learn a set of my tables (my 2's, my 3's, my 4's etc.) she would give me some Sour Cherry Balls (candy that at the time I just thought was the best). Well, it worked! I memorized all my multiplication tables and in record time. I wish I could say that I retained them as well as I should have but not true.

Mrs. Hall had a great 30 years at Jefferson Elementary and my brother and I are proud to say that we were a part of her passion of teaching and refuse to believe that we are the reason she decided to retire right after having The Keith kids back to back, Lol! To Mrs. Hall and all the teacher's that impacted my life and inspired me to become a teacher myself, I say thank you!

Evannoa L. Hall
Sept. 23, 1944-Feb. 20, 2009

No comments: