Thursday, July 24, 2008

Clean Choppers

Holy cow, I can't believe that I am getting ready to admit this to Blog and everybody but I went to the dentist today for the first time in 3 years!! Terrible, I know!!!! Let me explain. I have never gone this long without going to the dentist. For pete's sake all I was going for was a simple cleaning. I have gone all of my life very regularly and never (Praise God) had a problem, not even a cavity in 32 years. So the reason behind the prolonged visit was crazy! Here it goes....the dentist that have been going to since I can remember (at least 25 years) retired and turned over his business to his son. Now you must understand, it is not like this came as a shock to me. I was aware that it was coming and he had actually been preparing for Paul to take over like 6 years prior but, when the actual announcement came in the mail it is like I completely shutdown and decided that I was not going back for awhile!!! I know, I am retarded!!! I have absolutely nothing against Paul its just that his Dad was such a sweet heart and always told me I had perfect teeth. Anyway, it was time to make an appointment for my 3 kids for their dentist appointment (with another dentist) and I started feeling incredibly guilty because I hadn't been in what I thought was only 2 years. So the same day I called for my kids' appointment I decided I should bite the bullet and call for one of my own. Much to my surprise, they were closed for the week!!! Yea, I was off the hook!!! I listened to their recording and it said they would be back on Tues. the 22nd. So, I decided I would call back then....well maybe. Tuesday came and I was dreading the call but I somehow siked myself up to make it. Are you kidding me they didn't answer so, I did the responsible thing and left a message with my name and number asking for an appointment and a return phone call. Well Tues. came and went with no return phone call. What do these people want from me, to come to their office begging for a teeth cleaning?? I don't think so, I am not nearly that desperate for it. When I woke up yesterday, I knew that I had to call and try this one last time. Bite the bullet girl, pick up the phone and say "yes, my name is Jeniece Washburn and I need to make an appointment for a cleaning please." Yes, Ma' am, I am aware that it has been awhile since I have been in. I am also aware that it will probably be awhile before you can fit me in but I wanted to go ahead and get in your first available cleaning with Laura (my favorite hygentist). You see normally they schedule at least 3 months in advance. She paused for a moment and said "actually Mrs. Washburn Laura had a cancellation and we can get you in tomorrow morning at 9, would that be convenient for you?" Holy Cow.......I thought I would at least have some time to prepare myself. Well, I put a smile on my face and said Wow that is wonderful I will gladly take that appointment!! AAAAHHHH!!! I got up this morning and brushed like I had never brushed before fearful of the prognosis! I suffered through a groosomely long cleaning and my mouth hurt before Laura was even finished. When she completed the cleaning I said, "Oh my gosh my mouth hurts" and she said "well honey it will because we just did 6 cleanings in one. It was Sept. 2005 when you were last in." How embarrased was I? I felt like a MAJOR reject. Anyway, as if I hadn't bared enough I had to wait to see the new dentist, Paul! Although I have known him most of my life, I was still nervous what he might say because his Dad always said my teeth were perfect. He finally came in and said "I haven't seen you in awhile, how are you?" I said "well I will be better when my mouth stops hurting." He just laughed and said "Let's have a look." He was quiet for a couple of seconds and said "ok well, which ever end of the toothbrush you are using turn it over and use the other end." Huh???? I didn't get that statement at all and I guess by the look on my face the hygentist knew that I didn't get it (this in a horrible dentist joke). She started laughing and Paul said "you my dear have perfect teeth!" Yea!!!! How exciting! Needless to say I left there in pain but very excited to have been diagnosed with healthy teeth and they felt great!!!! I did find out that I got extremely lucky because with the exception of today's appointment they were scheduled out until February of 2009!! Amazing!!! You will all be proud to know that I did make my next appointment!! Yea Me!!!!

No comments: